Facing Northeast - Watch the traffic on the A. Murray MacKay Bridge and ship traffic into Bedford Basin.
The A. Murray MacKay Bridge locally known as “the new bridge” is the second suspension bridge linking the Halifax Peninsula with Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, and opened on July 10, 1970.
The A. Murray MacKay Bridge measures 1,200 m (3,900 ft) with the total of all suspended spans being 740 m (2,428 ft) in length, carrying four traffic lanes with posted speed limits of 70 kilometres per hour (43 mph). Pedestrians and bicycles are not permitted on this bridge.
The bridge is named after Alexander Murray MacKay, chairman of the Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission from 1951 to 1971 and past chief executive officer of MT&T.