Cape Saint Mary
Facing Southwest - Cape Saint Mary is the western most spot on the Nova Scotia mainland, providing visitors with expansive views over Saint Mary’s Bay and the Gulf of Maine. An operational lighthouse has existed at the Cape since 1868. Located in the active fishing and boatbuilding village of Cape Saint Mary/Cap Sainte-Marie, the lighthouse is a three minute drive from Mavillette Beach Provincial Park along the French Acadian Shore in Clare.
Cape Saint Mary Lighthouse Park is located at 59 Lighthouse Road, Cape Saint Mary. It is a natural look-off site where visitors and locals come to enjoy the scenic ocean views and sunsets of St Mary’s Bay overlooking the dramatic cliffs. The Municipality of Clare took ownership of the property in January 2017 and in the process of developing a lighthouse park. Exterior renovations to the lighthouse and site improvements were added during summer 2017 including a parking lot. Later in the fall, a monument commemorating those Lost at Sea in the municipality will be installed (concrete base is visible on webcam), as well as an accessible picnic shelter, viewing scope, and interpretive signage. The Department of Fisheries and Oceans will continue to maintain the lighthouse’s navigational equipment.